In Florida Due To Flesh-Eating Bacteria, A Man Got Infected And Died

In Florida Due To Flesh-Eating Bacteria, A Man Got Infected And Died

A Tennessee man died this week after becoming infected by a bacteria, vibrio vulnificus, during a visit to the Florida Panhandle, his daughter stated.

In a Fb post, Cheryl Bennett Wiygul mentioned her father turned infected with the bacteria after a day of splashing around within the water off of Destin. He seemed joyful and talkative, she mentioned.

“About 4:00 a.m. on Saturday morning, 12 hours after we have been in the water, he awoke with a fever, chills and a few cramping. …  They got to the hospital in Memphis around 8 p.m.,” Wiygul mentioned in the post. “They took him back immediately. As they have been helping him get to change into his hospital gown, they saw this terribly swollen black spot on his back that was not there before.”

The person’s situation worsened over the next several hours. His immune system had been reduced by about with cancer, the daughter stated, and he died on Sunday afternoon.

 “He was gone by Sunday afternoon. Less than 48 hours after getting out of the water feeling nice, the bacteria had destroyed him,” Wiygul wrote.

The person’s lab results confirmed that he had been contaminated with the bacteria vibrio vulnificus, his daughter wrote. The bacteria is among those that may cause the flesh-eating phenomenon often called necrotizing fasciitis, based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Per the CDC, vibrio vulnificus is frequent in coastal waters between May and October and may turn into a cause for concern after events similar to hurricanes and tropical storms because of storm surge.