At Maryland Beach, A Boy Came In Contact With Flesh-Eating Bacteria

At Maryland Beach, A Boy Came In Contact With Flesh-Eating Bacteria

A young boy was left covered in open wounds after he was infected with flesh-eating bacteria during a trip to a Maryland beach, his mother stated.

Brittany Carey wrote on Facebook that her son received the red wounds “all over his body” after he went swimming off the coast of Ocean City last week.

When the wounds increased, she took him to the Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury, Maryland, where doctors diagnosed him with Vibrio, a type of bacteria that can cause the skin to rot away in a condition called necrotizing fasciitis.

“My little guy got this from being in the bay …,” Carey addressed. “Please be careful out there guys and if you start seeing wounds such as these please get somewhere fast!”

The mom later updated the post to say that her son’s pediatrician stated he was healing nicely.

The case comes on the heels of a 77-year-old woman’s death last month after she scraped her leg at a Florida beach and contracted the flesh-eating condition.

Vibrio bacteria can be found in coastal waterways and raw seafood, according to the Centers for Disease Control. There are about 80,000 cases of vibriosis each year — with 52,000 coming from ingesting infected food, such as oysters, the CDC announced.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *